The Quint ROSHEENA ZEHRA 21 Nov ,2017
On 31 August, a seven-year-old was brought to Fortis Memorial Institute in Gurgaon for treatment. The child was suffering Dengue Shock Syndrome, a syndrome caused by the same virus that causes dengue. It affects children under the age of 10 and is marked by bleeding, shock and abdominal pain.
The child left the hospital LAMA (Leave Against Medical Advice) after being on constant ventilator support until 14 September. She died soon after. The family footed a bill of Rs 15 lakh for the treatment. The case came to light when a friend of the family tweeted about the exorbitant cost.
The tweets mentioned that the hospital switched to a treatment which was seven times more expensive than the initial treatment.