The Common Admission Test (CAT) is India’s most popular entrance exam for admission to MBA courses in ivy league colleges. CAT 2020 is all set to occur tentatively on November 29. To do well in the exam, it is important to be aware of the CAT 2020 syllabus. It requires proper guidance and strategy to cover any exam syllabus. With just 2 months left, it is not possible to prepare the syllabus from scratch. For that one has to start early. But the pro-tips will surely help aspirants to get a hold on the CAT syllabus 2020 further to do well in the exam during these final days.
The syllabus of the exam is not defined by the IIMs, which makes it doubly challenging for students to prepare for the exam. The CAT 2020 syllabus is inferred from the previous year’s question trends; only the question pattern varies. The exam will consist of 100 MCQs and Non-MCQs spanning for 180 minutes and will have questions related to QA, DILR, and VARC.
How to gain a command over the CAT 2020 Syllabus?
With the exam about a couple of months away, candidates must have covered their CAT 2020 syllabus. Now, it is time to revise, focus more on critical topics, solve the previous years’ question papers, and take mock tests. This will further increase one’s hold on the CAT syllabus 2020, which will help to do well in the exam. Let’s check some of the tips below:
- Practising is the key to cracking the CAT exam with decent percentiles. Practise is the most valuable instrument and also a battle cry for all the aspirants.
- Familiarising with the rules of previous years’ question papers is essential.
- It is of utmost importance for the students to finish their syllabus on time and get going with the sample papers and mock tests.
- To get the best results, the aspirants must prepare brief notes of all the rules and formulas, especially related to language and maths sections. It is equally important to learn from the mistakes made in the mock tests. They should revise those notes before taking any mock tests. This helps you to command over the CAT 2020 syllabus.
- In case of encountering any question that contradicts the rules, or is an exception, the candidates must immediately note the logic behind that question also. Doing this helps the aspirants to keep in touch with the topics they have already studied.
- In the beginning, while taking the mock tests, both the accuracy and the time will falter. The aspirants will take more time with less accuracy initially, but it is okay. As they keep solving the mock tests, they will find repetitiveness in the questions and find the pattern to solve them, making them less time-consuming—this is essential to prepare your CAT 2020 syllabus to do well in the exam.
- The exam authorities release a set of official mock tests around the mid of October. The students must take it to analyse themselves the best, and also acquaint themselves with the real CAT exams.
- Another essential habit to inculcate for the aspirants is the habit of reading. They must read at least one article on any given topic every day. It is definitely boring and tedious at first, but turns out to be pretty informative and also helps the comprehensive abilities of the students in the long run. Keeping a habit of reading helps them read through the long paragraphs easily and quickly without having to spend too much time on it.
Pro-tips from toppers who obtained 100 percentile
- CAT 2019 100 percentile holder, Somansh Chordia shares in an interview that the secret to crack the VARC section is to solve a lot of similar questions and understand your mistakes. Eventually, the students get the hang of such problems and don’t make those mistakes again.
- Rounak Majumdar, who obtained 100 percentile in 2018, believes that analysing the mock tests is more crucial than just taking them. According to him, the analysis of one’s error shows the shortcomings and helps to plan strategies to overcome them.
- In CAT 2017, Meet Agarwal believes that the QA section of the examinations does not test one’s mathematical prowess. Rather, it is about the basic aptitude and knowledge of numbers. Thus, the trick to solving them is to heart all the formulas and understand the logic behind each of them.
- Madhur Gupta, who secured 100 percentile in 2017, believes that variety is the key to best preparation. He shares that one must prepare a variety of questions and learn the way to tackle them to crack any question thrown at them. According to him, dealing with a wide range of problems forms an idea on the best way to approach the unknown. To deal with a wide range of problems one has to be thorough with the CAT 2020 syllabus.
Another suggestion that all the above toppers and every aspirant with a decent percentile swear by is to move on. The candidates must not get emotional and stick with one question. This exam is not about answering each of the questions.
The calculation of CAT percentile depends on the performance of all the students. Thus they should keep in mind that if a question is difficult for them, it is plausible to be so for most others. So, the wise thing to do is not wasting time on one question and moving on as there might be some definite victories lying ahead.
Other miscellaneous but critical tips for CAT 2020
- Aspirants must note that they can not skip sections and prepare accordingly. They must keep in mind that they get 60 minutes for each section and it is only after finishing one section, that they can go to the next.
- Also, once they have entered the other section, they cannot go back for any correction.
- It is very vital to be clear about the theories on various topics of the CAT 2020 syllabus before taking up the mock tests. Mock tests and revision will only help you establish command over the syllabus. It will not help you learn the basics!
Even though this examination is one of the toughest exams and the questions are tricky, it is necessary not to panic and keep a calm head. With very less time left, learning the basics from scratch is not possible. Hardworking aspirants must have already learnt the basics and know the CAT 2020 syllabus well. The pro-tips mentioned above will help you prepare for the exam further and have a stronghold on the CAT 2020 syllabus. With still time left, give your best, at least keep practising. All the best!