New Delhi , 23 Jul 2020
The special committee that was constituted to look into the issue of restoring 4G internet in Jammu and Kashmir has decided against resuming the services, the Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) informed the Supreme Court earlier this week.
In an affidavit filed Tuesday (21 July), in response to a contempt petition against the central government, the MHA said the committee will review its decision after two months.
The home ministry also said situation in the union territory will be reviewed by other competent authorities for the next two months. If there is improvement, appropriate action would accordingly be taken.
MHA’s affidavit follows a direction given on 16 July by a Supreme Court bench, led by Justice N.V. Ramana, to answer allegations of contempt raised against it in a petition by the Foundation of Media Professionals (FMP).
The FMP petition had sought action against government officials for allegedly defying the top court’s order to form the special committee. The bench had then observed that the government should have put the committee’s decision, to not resume 4G internet services in J&K, in the public domain.
On 11 May, the top court had directed the government to constitute a three-member high-powered committee to look into the issue of restoring 4G internet services in J&K. The committee was tasked to determine the necessity of continued restriction of mobile internet speed to only 2G bandwidth there.
Headed by the MHA secretary, the committee also constitutes the secretary of the Department of Telecom (DoT) and chief secretary of J&K as its members.( The Print )