The standoff between the armies of India and China in the Gogra area of East Ladakh has ended for a long time. On July 31, 2021, the two countries agreed to withdraw from this area in the twelfth round of Corps Commander level talks at Chushul Moldo meeting point in eastern Ladakh.
The Indian Army has issued a statement on this development, saying that the temporary structures have been demolished and both sides have also verified and confirmed it.
The statement said, “The two sides had in-depth discussions on resolving the remaining issues related to the disengagement (retreat) along the Line of Actual Control in the western sector of the India-China border. After this, the two sides had a disengagement (retreat) in the Gogra area.” The armies of both the countries were face to face in this area since May last year.
Under this agreement, both sides have ceased advance deployment in the region in a phased, coordinated and verified manner. The disengagement process was carried out on two days i.e. 04 and 05 August 2021. And the soldiers of both the sides are in their permanent bases.
Along with this, all temporary structures and other supporting infrastructure built in this area by both sides have been demolished. It has also been verified by both the parties. The occupation of the land here has now come to the same condition as before the tension escalated.
The statement further said that this agreement ensures that the Line of Actual Control in this area will be strictly observed and respected. At present, tension continues in Depsang and Hot Springs areas.
At the same time, tension seems to be decreasing in Galwan, Pengog Tso and now Gogra area.
Although, recently there were reports of increasing tension in Demchok area but Demchok’s name was not in the list of April 2020. ( NDTV )