November 15, 2017
The Foreign Office (FO) on Wednesday summoned Indian Deputy High Commissioner (DHC) J.P. Singh to protest “unprovoked ceasefire violations” by India that had resulted in a death yesterday.
The Director General (DG) South Asia, Dr Mohammad Faisal, condemned the death of an elderly woman in Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) as a result of cross-border firing by an Indian soldier.
“Despite calls for restraint, India continues to indulge in ceasefire violations,” the FO statement on the matter said.
The statement noted that India has been responsible for over 1,300 ceasefire violations so far in 2017 across the Line of Control (LoC) and Working Boundary, which have resulted in the deaths of 50 innocent civilians and injuries to 165. There had been only 382 ceasefire violations in 2016.
“The deliberate targeting of civilians is indeed deplorable and contrary to human dignity and international human rights and humanitarian laws,” the FO said, terming the violations by India a threat to regional peace and security.
Dr Faisal urged the Indian side to respect the 2003 Ceasefire Agreement and to maintain peace along the LoC. He asked them to investigate this and other reported violations, and urged the Indian side to permit the United Nations Military Observers group in India and Pakistan to play the role mandated under the UN Security Council resolutions.