Pakistan Cricket Board president Ehsan Mani insisted that the International Cricket Council should review the current financial model in order to help the 92-non Test playing nations.
ICC in June 2017 had done away with the Big-Three financial model that was implemented in 2014 and according to the new financial model, after the projection are scaled down to different factors, it still seems BCCI and ECB will receive US$ 139 million, that is more than other boards like CA, PCB, CSA, NZC, SLC, CWI and BCB, who are set to receive $128 million each while the fate of the non Test playing nations is expected to go from bad to worse.
ECB outgoing chairman Colin Graves, who is touted as the front runner for the ICC’s chairman post that is yet to be finalized after Shashank Manohar’s resignation, urged ICC to review the financial revenue sharing model while leaving the office of ECB.
PCB’s Mani echoed the same sentiment while talking with Cricbuzz, adding that the pre-2015 model was more equitable.
“The current financial model harms the interest of almost all the 104 ICC Members. The biggest losers are the 92 Non-Test playing countries, who receive far less than they used to,” said Mani.
“The pre-2015 financial model was more equitable. All Full Members (Test playing nations) received 75% of the net ICC revenues, which were shared equally between them. The Non-Test playing members received the remaining 25%,” he said.
Mani added that he is not interested to run for the post as he is totally committed to PCB. “I am fully committed to Pakistan and my only interest is to serve Pakistan cricket and make it healthier and stronger so that the game can continue to thrive,” said Mani.
“I have already been ICC Vice-Chairman (2002), Chairman & President for three years (2003-2006); and presently Chairman of the ICC Finance & Commercial Affairs Committee, having previously headed this body for six years (1996-2002),” he said.
Mani added that he does not think there is problem for other countries if any new president comes out of the big three despite the fact majority of members are still dependent on one of the big three to tour to make money.
“Clyde Walcott (WI), Myself (Pak), Percy Sonn (SA), Ray Mali (SA) and Alan Issac (NZ) were not from the so-called Big 3. Six other chairmen have been from Australia, England and India since 1993. The role of the ICC Chairman is to look after the interest of all ICC members, not a select few,” said Mani.
“I was personally instrumental in commercializing the ICC Events and raising over $1.7 billion for world cricket between 2000-2007 and before I did this, the ICC had very little money and the members received very little from the ICC,” he said.